Many vaginal mesh claims have been centralized and consolidated through a legal mechanism known as “multidistrict litigation,” or MDL.
Vaginal Mesh MDLs Are Not Class Action Lawsuits
MDLs and class action lawsuits are not the same thing. In an MDL each individual plaintiff has his or her case tried separately. In a class action lawsuit, however, plaintiffs sue collectively, and are therefore required to split the award. As a result of this important distinction, MDL plaintiffs who win their cases typically receive a reward that more closely corresponds to their actual losses. That is, the plaintiffs in MDLs typically recover more money than the plaintiffs in class action lawsuits.
There Are Several Vaginal Mesh MDLs Right Now
Cases against six vaginal mesh manufacturers have been consolidated in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, where their pre-trial proceedings will be presided over by Judge Goodwin:
- In re: C.R. Bard, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2187;
- In re: Coloplast Corp., Pelvic Support Systems Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2387;
- In re: Boston Scientific Corp., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2326;
- In re: Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2327;
- In re: American Medical Systems, Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2325; and
- In re: Cook Medical, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2440.
Another MDL is centralized in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia. This litigation is further along than the other vaginal mesh MDLs. In fact, many claimants in the Georgia MDL recovered settlement awards for undisclosed amounts several years ago.
- In re: Mentor Corp., ObTape Transobturator Sling Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2oo4.
There Are Also Mass Tort Cases Against Bard & Gynecare Pending in New Jersey
In addition to these MDL actions, there are mesh mass torts pending in New Jersey state court. There, Bard faces more than 100 actions, and Gynecare, a subsidiary of Ethicon, is dealing with 1,800.
Speak With a Lawyer About Your Vaginal Mesh Injury
Regardless of why you were implanted with vaginal mesh—or which company manufactured it—if the device caused you injury, it is your right to seek compensation through a lawsuit. To find out whether you qualify for litigation, complete this online form or call 1 (888) 976-8529.